Sunday, March 6, 2011

to be inspired ...

After a busy start to 2011 - and no progress made on my birthday holiday - I have been spending time this weekend catching up on reading and laundry! It's not the most exciting weekend but certainly what I need right now.

I was reading a few blogs today and one blogger asked Today I wish I was ... Personally I don't like the idea of wishing to be someone else - I am who I am and although some days I can drive myself crazy I am still happy to be me. But it did get me thinking about the women (in particular famous women or characters) that inspire me.

Crown Princess Mary of Denmark

Mary is everything that I always imagined a European princess to be but even more so, she is just an Aussie mum married to a Dane, living in his home country. She herself causes no fuss but brings attention to important issues/causes.

I love this headpiece (which she also wore to Princess Isabella's christening). Could very much see me wearing that, perhaps were I to get married.

Queen Elizabeth II
Ever since I can remember there has been a photo of the Queen in my Grandma's house. Possibly because of that I always imagined the Queen to be like my Grandma, the absolute matriarch of a big family. It isn't always easy to be a matriarch but they both do it with such style and grace.

With the Queens first great grandchild born at the end of 2010 and grand children getting married this year (for the Queen and my Grandma) hopefully these matriarch's have a great year.

The Bennett Sisters
I think we can all learn a thing or two from the Bennett sisters (image from the 2005 film).

Lizzie for refusing to believe that a woman cannot make her way in the world; Jane for her dignity in the face of utter humiliation; Lydia for refusing to stay within the confines of social norms (and it must be said, for making the best of a bad situation); Mary who in her own way saw through society; and Kitty who knows what is like to be overshadowed by her sisters. There is a reason that this book remains so popular.

Kate Winslet
Kate is one of those actresses who does an incredible job and although she has had some drama through out her career we still know her for her work. If you are going to be a famous actress this is how to do it.

I am starting to notice a pattern here.
I really do admire those women who life seems perfect for, not because it is but because when it is hard they just do what they have to do to get by. And that they do it without embarrassing themselves or family and stay within what we believe are their principles.

No comments:

Post a Comment