Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Isn't it like running away?

So I have been chatting to a few people about the idea of heading somewhere exotic to turn 30. Most people think its a great idea to take the time now to have an experience that I will treasure and will be my own unique way of celebrating this milestone. A story to tell my grandchildren.

But then I was asked "Isn't it a bit like running away from the problem? You will still be 30 when you get back".

Its true, on my return post trip I will be 30 and I will have to face the consequences of being a 30 year old woman. But wouldn't the story of the amazing adventure that I have been on prevent that from happening?

Perhaps by taking a proactive, positive stance towards 30 I am not delaying it but am preventing it all together. Is not part of the issue around turning 30 that things didn't turn out as I had planned. So would not a plan that takes all of the good things about who I am and the things I have make this trip the solution. Is not turning 30 about realising that I can make things happen, because I have something valid to contribute and finally people will believe I have life and career experience worthy of inclusion? Is the trip also not one last farewell to the things that I had dreamed of as a child, but perhaps in the end weren't my destiny?

I have to say that right now I am for the first time excited about turning 30 and surely that has to be a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment